Interactive Flash presentation of the Gospel:
www.thekristo.com

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Walk with Jesus: The Bible is Pro Choice

The following Walk With Jesus commentary is copyrighted by Jim Reynolds, pastor of First Baptist Church, LaGrange, Missouri. This particular message is written by his wife, Deanna.

With the election coming quickly upon us, I was rehearsing in my mind all the different reasons given for one being “pro-life” or “pro-choice”. I remembered a verse from Deuteronomy 30:19. “I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So CHOOSE…..”

We all make decisions countless times a day: what to wear, what to eat, what to read, etc. But we also make much more critical choices on a daily basis. For example, I choose not to die from lung cancer, therefore, I choose not to smoke. I choose to do everything within my power to not die from heart disease, therefore, I choose to eat healthy and exercise regularly. I choose to not wake up with a hangover, therefore, I choose to not consume alcohol. I choose to not die by lethal injection or electric chair, therefore, I choose to not murder. I choose to not pay $100 speeding tickets, therefore, I choose to not speed.

As a single adult, I chose to not suffer from sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancies, therefore, I chose abstinence until I was married. All of my choices have a common goal – to avoid negative, unwanted, harmful, even fatal consequences. For the same reasons, I choose to stay out of debt, save money, remain faithful to my spouse, pray for my children, obey the law, treat others with respect, and the list goes on and on. Besides simply being the right thing to do, I choose not to suffer unnecessary consequences. I experience enough consequences daily when I mess up on “the little things” to understand the idea of “cause and effect.”. I also understand that when I do mess up (which is often) I do not need judgment nor condemnation, but like everyone, I need the love and compassion of God and His Church to accept me and get me back on the right path.

So here’s my point…if a woman wants the “right to choose” whether or not she wants to have a baby along with all the responsibility that raising a child entails, shouldn’t that choice be made long before the actual life of the child is conceived? You see, abortion is not about choosing to not have a child, it’s about choosing to not face the natural result, dare I say consequences, inherent with the risk taken when engaging in sex (whether married or unmarried).

In all of scripture, the Bible clearly points out that we all have free will – FREEDOM OF CHOICE. And there are natural results and consequences, both positive and negative, to every choice. Although the right to choose our actions is freely granted to all, the right to eliminate ensuing consequences is NOT. You can choose to smoke but you cannot decide to NOT have lung cancer once you are stricken with it. You can eat whatever you want and never exercise; however, you cannot choose to no longer have heart disease after the first heart attack. You can choose to exceed the speed limit, but you cannot refuse to pay the speeding ticket once it’s been issued – unless you prefer more severe consequences instead.

Try as you might, consequences cannot be escaped forever. And trying to eliminate initial consequences will bring more severe ones in the aftermath. Gratefully, the Bible is also clear, that when we make wrong choices, we can choose to return to the right path and receive forgiveness. It’s never too late to make that choice.

Like I said, the Bible is Pro-Choice, and graciously it encourages us to make the right choice and then follows it up with the promised blessing. Deut. 30:19 continues “…..So CHOOSE LIFE in order that you may live, you and your descendants.”

When I go to the polls, that is what I promise to do in regards to every candidate on the ballot, regardless of political party – I will CHOOSE LIFE.

My name is Deanna Reynolds and I am campaigning on behalf of the RIGHT TO CHOOSE for the innocent unborn children in America. I approve this message.

Walk WITH Jesus,

Deanna

Additional Walk with Jesus articles may be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will direct your paths." - Proverbs 3:5-6