Interactive Flash presentation of the Gospel:
www.thekristo.com

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Temptation

"No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, That you may be able to bear it." -- 1 Corinthians 10:13

My greatest temptation I find hard to overcome is the foods I put in my mouth. This year marks my 5th anniversary -- shedding 115 pounds and for the most part maintaining. But from February 2007 to December 2008 I gained 9-1/2 pounds - due to eating too much sweets. I want to rid myself of that extra weight, lose more if possible, not continue to pack it in and on.

You would think the regiment I followed in the early days would have stayed with me, but somewhere along the line, old influences crept in and I allowed them to remain and on frequent occasions, overtake my preferred state.

The regiment I followed consisted of: more protein, less carbs (especially those not so good for me), more veggies, more fruit, less fat, less sweets. Small quantities. Eating several times a day. More liquids - water, tea. Not drinking with meals, but only before or after and then at least 1/2-hour in between.

Some of that I still follow; its the part I don't follow that causes havoc for me.

~~~~~
God will not allow me to be tempted beyond what I can handle and He will show me a way to escape from it.
~~~~~

Obviously, I haven't listened or seen. Satan has shown me there is nothing wrong with my desires. If I want them I should have them because they taste good. I have given in to my desires.

This would not be God's chosen desire for me. I have not listened to His word, obeyed His urgings.

I like honey ... in my tea, on toast, sometimes in cereal. Proverbs 25:27 tells us "it is not good to eat much honey." And its true. Too much honey brings on a tummy ache.

Self-control is a fruit of the Spirit. Where is my self-control?

Galatians 5:25 says, "If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit."

The fruits of the spirit ... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.

I am a continual work in progress; sometimes I stop by the wayside, sometimes I become distracted, but always I am His.

1 comment:

  1. As a side note, my husband struggles to put on weight. He has lost 30 pounds this past year. In the last 2 weeks, he has managed to add 1/8 of a pound. I believe he is running a race with our bunny, who gains 1 ounce per year.

    ReplyDelete

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will direct your paths." - Proverbs 3:5-6