Interactive Flash presentation of the Gospel:
www.thekristo.com

Saturday, September 18, 2010

the word / The Word

Today's reading with Dietrich Bonhoeffer took me to thinking about the word "word." Bonhoeffer says, "Every word has its place. Every word is alive and is at home in a certain place."

I never thought about this. Well I supposed I did, perhaps once upon a time. It reminds me of grammar. In searching the meaning of word I came across a variety of thoughts. Here is one person's conception of What Is A Word. Perhaps you have ideas to express as well.

Bonhoeffer says in place of genuine words we now have chatter. Words no longer have any weight. There is too much talk.

What is a genuine word? Is it original, real, true, honest, sincere? Chatter I suppose is saying nothing. Or saying little of any consequence. Too much talk, yet too little being said. Too much of nothing, too little of that specialness, too little meaning, too little truth.

Think again. If a genuine word is original, real, true, honest, sincere, are we not speaking of God?

God is original ... "Before the mountains were brought forth, Or ever You had formed the earth and the world, Even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God." (Psalm 90:2)

God is real ... "And God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM.' And He said, 'Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.' " (Exoduc 3:14)

God is true ... "These Jesus cried out, as He taught in the temple, saying, 'You both know Me, and you know where I am from; and I have not come of Myself, but He who sent Me is true, whom you do not know. But I know Him, for I am from Him, and He sent Me." (John 7:28-29)

"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.' " (John 14:6)

God is honest ... Two of His commandments, "You shall not steal. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor." (Exodus 20:15-16)

God is sincere ... "let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope, without wavering, for He who promised is faithful." (Hebrews 10: 22-23)

Every word has its place. Every word is alive.

The Word is God, the Lord Jesus. He is alive!

"Every word of God is pure; He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him.
Do not add to His words, Lest He reprove you, and you be found a liar."
(Proverbs 30:5-6)

"So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it." (Isaiah 55:11)

"But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." (Matthew 12:36-37)

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword; piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." (Hebrews 4:12)

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will direct your paths." - Proverbs 3:5-6