Interactive Flash presentation of the Gospel:
www.thekristo.com

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Yesterday's events ... today's thoughts

Friday was an eventful day.

The photo exhibit open house for Gazette employees at the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art was very moving. Still hard to believe how the flooded waters moved in and took over. Peoples' lives - of those thousands affected - will be in disarray for some time to come.

Thought payment had been made to Midwestern for Jim's seminary studies but come to find out that isn't so. Frustrated about how to proceed, what we have to do. Classes have begun. More waiting.

I sometimes, oftentimes, feel it is my fault when things don't pan out the way we think they're going to. Guess that's not real smart thinking. The Lord knows what is going on. We are to pray always. What appears is not always so. Guess we can't pre-suppose anything. It is true - what comes around, comes around again, but not always when we think, and not on our own time table.

We drove down to Mount Pleasant mid-afternoon for the Old Threshers Reunion and to visit Larry and Dorothy Gillespie, our friends from LaGrange, Mo., who were spending a couple days there. Arrived around 4 and left at 8:30 p.m. The cost to get on the grounds was more than we anticipated, at $12 each. It cost substantially less if you were staying for all five days ($20 per person). Parking was an additional expense, ranging anywhere from $3 to $5 per vehicle. We got in on the lower end of that deal. The four of us enjoyed visiting and seeing all the sights, from antique engines to automobiles and even snowmobiles - some of them were really huge! And crafts galore. Plus of course there was lots and lots of walking. We enjoyed supper on the grounds by one of the many church groups - St. Alphonsus Catholic Church provided choice of chicken, meatloaf or turkey tender with beans, mashed potatoes, roll, jello and drink - all for $7.50 each. It was an excellent meal.

Dorothy brought with her reprints of photos taken when their family came up Aug. 2 for Jim's surprise 60th. Looking through them I realized some of the stupid eating choices I've made in the past eight months have added poundage that I had previously lost. Have you ever noticed or felt that what you can't see isn't really there? Not true. Not all all. The pictures proved to me what I've tried to avoid. Now I'm left to start over so to speak. I started on a low carb eating program, small meals, eating more frequently, then I got away from it - in the past year especially - when I've reached for peanut m&ms and bread, particularly in times of stress. No more. Must strive to overcome. Must pray, ask for God's wisdom in the process. No more buying things which I'll end up eating in quantity instead of just one. I've noticed too on the internet that the process of managing diabetes (which I don't have) involves low carb, small meals. I need to get back to that regiment.

Now is the time to Act, or Re-Act or perhaps the word is Re-New, Re-Strengthen, Re-Solve, Re-Make, Re-Learn, Re-Think, Re-Turn, Re-Juvenate.

Colossians 1:10 says The Lord wants us to have a walk with him "fully pleasing, being fruitful." I'm sure some of my habits are far from pleasing and they're not particularly fruitful either. Fruits of the spirit include gentleness, patience, humbleness, perseverance, self-control. I am a continual work in progress. I'm sure glad the Lord doesn't give up on me even when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will direct your paths." - Proverbs 3:5-6