Interactive Flash presentation of the Gospel:
www.thekristo.com

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Desires of the flesh

Four years ago I reduced my body weight by 110 pounds. Four years later I have managed to keep the weight off but it is a continual struggle to maintain. Up and down I go. Since November 2007, it has been a particular struggle. I'm not sure why. This past week devotional study has been pointing me to reflect on my eating habits. Sweet sweets really irritate me ... meaning, I do not feel well. It's not just chocolate and it's not just foods that you would think would be particularly harmful to you. Anything and everything that is really sweet to my tastebuds.

One verse I read that makes me think more of my harmful habits is Romans 8:5 (NKJ) which says, "For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the spirit, the things of the spirit."

Eating the desires of our heart can be "to the flesh," our sin nature. Brings death, not peace. I am not pleasing God, nor am I pleasing myself, because afterward, I don't feel good. But then it becomes hindsight. I'm not seeing the carnal mindset before I proceed ... I need to be aware of what I am doing and what I destroy, it destroys.

With the Lord's help we can rise above, but we must actively seek, actively work to prevent, to stop from regressing. Similar to what the apostle Paul says, "we do what we don't want to do and that which we know is right we don't do'' in Romans 7:15.

We think a long life is a good life. But that is not true. It's not how long we live, but how well. Quality instead of quantity.

More verses were found in Ephesians 5, verses 1, 8 and 10: "Follow God's example in everything you do ... For though your hearts were once full of darkness, now you are full of light from the Lord, and your behavior should show it! ... Try to find out what is pleasing to the Lord."

So I will try to determine what is pleasing. I have a fair idea what is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will direct your paths." - Proverbs 3:5-6