Interactive Flash presentation of the Gospel:
www.thekristo.com

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Real comfort

What is your idea of comfort food? Currently, at this particular point in time, I consider peanut m & m's, ketchup sandwiches and hot tea. Strangely bizarre I know. Anyway... not the most healthy choices (especially the first two) for me, unless of course taken in moderation. That too comes and goes.

Comfort food is not what we eat or drink. There is no real comfort there. Only a habit that we continue to gravitate toward because we think it brings comfort. Eating is good for physical health; eating because you are stressed or you simply desire it so must have it, is not good. The same goes with drinking and getting drunk and a lot of other choices we make.

Real comfort can be found in the Bible. Romans 15:4 says, "For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope." But how often do we go there to seek it?

Every morning I read my devotional and the Scripture passage and then reflect on it. Sometimes what I learn excites me to want to dig deeper, other times not so. But whether or not I dig deeper into His word, I am at peace and comforted by the knowledge that He (the Lord Jesus) is with me wherever I am (go). He will guide me and instruct me in His way. I must be open to listening/hearing, obeying/following, praying, abiding always with Him, and there within I find "real comfort."

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will direct your paths." - Proverbs 3:5-6