Interactive Flash presentation of the Gospel:
www.thekristo.com

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving Day...

More than a day of feasting and watching Macy's parade and televised football games, although that seems to be the norm. When I was growing up watching the Macy's Thanksgiving parade while others prepared the meal was standard. I imagine it still is. Our family was small; we never watched the football games, although sometimes we played board games after dinner, like checkers or Scrabble. Sometimes we took a nap; we were so full and tired after eating all that good, rich food. My mom always fixed scalloped oysters. Ugh! I do not like oysters, but I sure do like the flavor of them. I haven't had any for many years. Why would I fix something I would never eat?! Not even for the memories.

Thanksgiving Day...

More than being appreciative for the abundance you have. I don't know how appreciative I was when I was growing up. My mom was the primary caregiver, breadwinner in our family. My dad left us when I was 8, my grandpa died when I was 10. Yep, my mom provided the food on the table, the clothes on our back, necessary supplies for school, transportation. I'm sure I was not near as appreciative as I am now, looking back.

Thanksgiving Day...

More than one day.

Psalm 100:3a: "It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves."
God created us; creates us still. God enables our lives to come together for His purpose.

Thanksgiving is being grateful for everything ...
for all you have,
for all you have not.

I am most thankful for the relationship I have with my Lord, for my husband Jimmy, for children, which for me are pets ... BeeJay, our bunny.

Thank You Lord Jesus

1 comment:

  1. Love your comment about cooking something you don't like just for memories:) My cousin had to make up her own Thanksgiving this year because my aunt died in Dec. Moreover, she has breast cancer so she had to balance her own first "turkey" cooking with the meals that were donated to her because of her need for caregiving.

    ReplyDelete

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will direct your paths." - Proverbs 3:5-6