Interactive Flash presentation of the Gospel:
www.thekristo.com

Monday, February 2, 2009

Contemplation

What good things in your past have you accomplished or achieved that might prevent you from achieving great things for the Lord in the present?

Well, I can't think of any. There may be, there probably is, but they don't come to my mind.

Since becoming a Christian I do not recall any personal great triumphs or God's blessings upon me that prevented me from marching forward, continuing to seek and do His will for me. It is easier to think on that which traumatized me or brings sadness and pain within.

... that which we are to forget.

We are only to remember God's role in it.

Elizabeth George in "Loving God With All Your Mind" provides three steps for forgetting the past.
  • Find the Gold -- the hidden blessing, the lesson to be learned, the character trait being forged
God allowed the experiences, so somewhere there is gold to be found.

How can you think back on the bad things in your life without dwelling on them? How can you find the positive in the middle of all the negative? Finding the gold could take a long time.

  • Find Forgiveness for the bad that resulted from your sin.

But not always is the bad a result of your own personal sin. Sometimes the sin is a result of poor choices made by others.

  • Forgive those who have hurt you.

When we fail to forgive others we sentence ourselves to a life of bitterness. We stop growing in our faith and we compromise our service and witness for Jesus.

I don't much dwell on the past anymore. Sometimes an event or unpleasant moment from history past creeps into my thoughts and I think on it momentarily. But it is best to remove myself. If I can't, then my writings turn to prayer in the form of loosely written poetry. Pouring out my soul to my Lord, who only He, He alone came enable me to overcome life's many hurdles, past and present, and future as well.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." -- Philippians 4: 6-7

Do not become anxious ... certainly easier said than accomplished. ... Earnestly pray with the Lord your God to remove your fears, thankful for what you have and are to receive ... abide with Him always ... even when your own understanding is topsy-turvy ... God's peace will come to you.

Prayer relieves you from stress. I wrote that a long time ago in my Bible. Remembering God's truths, staying focused on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will direct your paths." - Proverbs 3:5-6