Interactive Flash presentation of the Gospel:
www.thekristo.com

Monday, July 21, 2008

So ...

So much that I think about in the course of a day, week, month, year. So much and yet so little. It can mean nothing or be rather useful. Very few actually read this blog, so it would seem no matter what I say, it won't matter. Well, so be it. It might matter to me and it always matters to God. So between me and God, that's pretty good.

Today's Scripture reading brought me to Romans 12:3b, which says "not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think" Don't think of yourself as too high and mighty, better than another. But then I thought, we shouldn't think too lowly either should we? So low that we become self-centered. Selfishness can be at either end of the spectrum can it not? Romans 12:3c says "God has dealt to each one a measure of faith." Well, if you don't have faith, you don't have God, and without God, you have nothing.

My editor loaned me the book "Obit" by Jim Sheeler ... inspiring stories of ordinary people who led extraordinary lives. It is the most interesting book I've read about news obituaries. I've often though I'd like to try my hand at news obits. I edit obits for the local newspaper. But editing them and writing a story, a short synopsis of one's life, is something else. I question my abilities. I don't know why. Fear factor gets in the way.

"With God I can do all things." "With God on my side, who can be against me." There is no one. With God in my park and me obeying his direction, I can do many things. To his glory. I can write a news obit. Just remember to whom, to what purpose you do this.

Sunday morning, I wrote in my journal, "If I died today, who would remember me?"
I imagine there are many who think that on any day. Is it selfishness or just a sincere desire that someone, anyone, would think well of another, that their life would mean something to another. Something important, not just stupid things, being silly or ridiculous. Perhaps being silly and people remembering that, is meaningful ...to someone somewhere somehow. I wonder.

There is a song included in this book "Obit" that one ordinary man sung ... about smiles. I like what it says. I don't know if these are his words or someone else, but still, I like it and its worth repeating here...

"There are smiles that make us happy,
There are smiles that make us blue,
There are smiles that steal away the teardrops,
As the sunbeams steal away the dew
Here are smiles that have a tender meaning,
That the eyes of love alone may see ...
And the smiles that fill my life with sunshine
Are the smiles that you give to me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will direct your paths." - Proverbs 3:5-6