Interactive Flash presentation of the Gospel:
www.thekristo.com

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Detours

"Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth." (Colossians 3:2)
"For God hath not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." (2 Timothy 1:7)

I have been battling food habits (that I thought I had broken) since late April/early May. I had lost over 100 pounds during a 2-year period and now my cravings for sweets have gotten the best of me. I have allowed it. It's my own fault. Why I have allowed it I don't know. It certainly doesn't do me any good. It does taste good, that first moment when it touches my tongue. But in the long run, I can't keep saying yes to sweets and no to better choices.

It's a detour. All of life offers detours for us to take or not take. If we keep our focus on God, we won't get off track. We will obey the Lord at every turn, always seeking His will for our lives and the detour will vanish or we will be able to overcome what seems insurmountable.

Food is necessary to the body, for sustaining physical life, but not all food, not all the time. It is among "the affairs of this life" and its not good to stay entangled upon it, to be focused on it. It can become a hindrance to what we should be doing. Philippians 3:18-19 says, "For many walk, ... whose end is destruction, whose god is their belly (sensual indulgences, such as food), and whose glory is in their shame - who set their mind on earthly things."

Today is the day. Dear Lord, help me stay away from that which is harmful to my body. Only allow me to only take in that which is useful. Keep me from harming myself. In your name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will direct your paths." - Proverbs 3:5-6