Interactive Flash presentation of the Gospel:
www.thekristo.com

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Set a guard ... keep watch

"Set a guard O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips." (Psalm 141:3)

"He who guards his mouth preserves his life, But he who opens wide his lips shall have destruction." (Proverbs 13:3)

"Whoever guards his mouth and tongue keeps his soul from troubles." (Proverbs 21:23)

"... I will guard my ways, Lest I sin with my tongue; ..." (Psalm 39:1)

"For we all stumble in many ways. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body." (James 3:2)

I never thought of my mouth as being a door, but things go in and out, so the correlation is reasonable.

Not so sure God has guarded that "door" -- I do know I often speak wrongly. Or even if what I say is correct, from another's perspective it appears wrong.

Sometimes I think if we said nothing, just went on our way, there would be less grief, but that's probably inaccurate too.

How could we possibly pray before each formed thought becomes spoken and the words rush out?

Why do so many hold so much against another?

No one is perfect. We all stumble.

Even you who think you're above reproach, who think you've chosen your words wisely and suggest ways another could do better. Even you.

We can only remember the truths God has given us, instilled in us; renew our minds to stay obedient to His will; pray diligently for His aid and instruction; continually abide with Him and in Him, as we strive to be what He desires of us and for us.

"... I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness." (Psalm 84:10)

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will direct your paths." - Proverbs 3:5-6