Interactive Flash presentation of the Gospel:
www.thekristo.com

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Another look at forgiveness

Today's devotional is about forgiveness. I last wrote about this topic on Sept. 4.

Today's Scripture reading covers the Lord's Prayer; Matthew 6:12 specifically. "Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors" (New King James version) says basically the same thing as "forgive us our sins just as we have forgiven those who have sinned against us" (New Living Translation). Our debts ... obligations incurred, sins of omission and commission. Not just money, but words and actions.

I have had a hard time with forgiveness. I think its because I always thought forgiveness meant forgetting and somewhere along the way I found that was untrue. I know the Lord forgave me - He died for me, He went through a lot of pain and suffering just for me. The very least I can do is forgive another. But ...

It's human nature. People say things, sometimes don't mean to, just comes out wrong! Sometimes they do mean it. They really do think you are up to no good. Sometimes you are, sometimes not. The words we say or don't say, the activities we do or don't do. The inflections in our voices. All can cause havoc for another in some form.

Forgiveness is farthest from our mind or heart. I don't like to go there anymore than I imagine you do. I don't like to say "I forgive you" when I'm feeling betrayed, angry...

The Lord Jesus was angry, and betrayed and abused, yet He went to the cross. He died for me.

It is hard to grasp. I know it is true. He forgave me and you. We are to forgive others. He followed His father's will for his life. We too are to be obedient.

When we forgive another, even when the fault remains, we feel cleansed. I feel cleansed. I don't forget, although I try not to bring it to mind again, because that will bring the pain afresh and renew in us a feeling of wrongdoing. We don't want to go there.

As long as I stay focused on Jesus and less on the event that caused me anguish, God's cleansing power within me will grow stronger and stronger each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will direct your paths." - Proverbs 3:5-6